What You Need To Improve Your Lifejacket
Lifejackets are one of the most important pieces of safety equipment when it comes to being on or around water. They provide flotation and keep the wearer's head above water, which can save lives in emergency situations.
While life jackets have been traditionally bulky and uncomfortable, recent advances in design and technology have led to the development of many new, more comfortable and safer life jacket options. Life jackets are a crucial aspect of water safety, and any enhancements to their design or features can greatly improve overall safety.
You are required to wear a lifejacket on a powered vessel up to 4.8m, when in an open area and underway in Melbourne, Australia. We recommend when on our Highfield Boats to wear a lifejacket at all times. All boaters on a vessel up to 12m in length must wear a lifejacket during times of heightened risk – such as when boating solo, crossing a bar or when there's a weather warning – when in an open area and underway.
Here are a few of the ways that life jacket manufacturers are improving this essential piece of safety gear:
- Proper fit: Ensure the life jacket fits well and is snug to the body.
- High visibility colours: One of the biggest dangers when you're swimming is being invisible to other boaters and sailors. That's why it's important to make your life jacket as visible as possible. You can do this by using brightly-colored materials, or by adding reflective strips.
- Additional flotation: Consider purchasing a life jacket with added flotation for improved buoyancy.
- Comfort features: Look for life jackets with padded shoulders, adjustable straps, and breathable materials for improved comfort.
- Quick release buckles: Consider a life jacket with quick-release buckles for ease of removal in emergency situations.
- Integrated safety features: Look for life jackets with built-in safety features such as a whistle, reflective tape, or rescue light.
By considering these factors, you can ensure you have the best life jacket to keep you safe while enjoying water activities.
Once you have purchased a lifejacket you can immediately improve your lifejacket by purchasing useful accessories for it. Here are some popular accessories for life jackets:
- Reflective tape
- Rescue light
- Waterproof storage bag
- Spray hood
- Knife/tool attachment
- Personal locator beacon
- Emergency strobe light
- Drinking water pouch.
These accessories can greatly enhance the safety and functionality of a lifejacket. The whistle, reflective tape, and rescue light can help signal for rescue in low light conditions. The waterproof storage bag, spray hood, and drinking water pouch can help protect spray on your face, personal items and provide essential hydration. The knife/tool attachment, MOB1 and personal locator beacon can assist in survival situations, while the emergency strobe light can further aid in attracting attention.
Looking to purchase a lifejacket in Melbourne? Visit our Sundance chandlery located at Sandringham Yacht Club. We are suppliers of Crewsaver lifejackets and offer a large range of lifejackets to suit all ages. Get in contact with us here.