How to sell your yacht: should you use a yacht broker?
So you've decided to sell your boat. Whether you're downsizing, upgrading, or moving on to a new adventure, selling your boat can seem like a daunting task. You can try to go it alone, but a yacht broker can make the process much easier - and often times, much more successful.
There are several ways to sell a boat, including:
- Advertising in boating magazines or online classifieds, such as YachtWorld or Boat Trader.
- Contacting a local yacht broker, who can list and promote your boat to potential buyers.
- Networking with friends and family, as well as other boating enthusiasts, to spread the word about your boat.
Depending on what type of boat and price point can help guide your decision on how you sell your powerboat and/or yacht. When you're ready to sell your boat, you might find that you might be best suited to engage with a yacht broker.
To determine if you need their help, first assess your situation, and determine if you have the knowledge and experience to sell your boat on your own. If you don't think you can handle the sale, then it might be a good idea to consult with a yacht broker. It is worth noting that often yacht brokerage companies charge a brokerage fee to facilitate the sale.
Why Use a Yacht Broker?
There are many reasons to use a yacht broker when selling your boat. Here are just a few:
- They have extensive knowledge of the market and will be able to help you price your boat accurately.
- They have access to a large network of potential buyers.
- They have extensive experience in negotiating sales.
- Access to contractors to facilitate required works on your boat
- Relationship network with boat surveyors to recommend you
- They will handle all the paperwork and logistics involved in the sale
Sundance Marine is your Melbourne yacht broker.
In addition to new boat sales, Sundance Marine has a successful brokerage arm dealing with the sale & purchase of pre-owned yacht and power boats. We’ve been around since the 1970s and have built a reputable company and highly experienced team.
We specialise in the sale of Beneteau Powerboat and Beneteau Yachts. Being the Beneteau power + sail dealer for Victoria and Tasmania, we have an in-depth knowledge of the Beneteau brand to assist in the sale of your Beneteau yacht or Powerboat. With a large database of Beneteau clients, we have an active network of interested buyers.
How do I get my boat ready for sale with a yacht broker:
So, you are ready to put your boat on the market. Here are out tips to get your boat ready for a successful sale:
- Set a fair and reasonable price, taking into consideration the make, model, condition, and age of your boat, as well as the local market conditions.
- Clean and maintain your boat to ensure it is in the best condition possible for potential buyers.
- Be prepared to negotiate the price with buyers and be willing to compromise in order to make a sale.
- Create a detailed list of all features and equipment that come with the boat, such as electronics, safety equipment, and any custom features.
- Be transparent about any repairs or maintenance that have been performed on the boat.
- Be prepared to answer any questions potential buyers may have about the boat.
Our team are here to make your boating experience as enjoyable as possible. If you're ready to make the most of your boating lifestyle, we'd love you help you buy, upgrade, sell or service your boat. Get in touch with us here.