Need to know: 7 steps to clean your boat
Boating can be a fun and enjoyable activity, but it also requires a certain level of maintenance and cleaning to keep your vessel in top condition. Cleaning your boat not only improves its appearance but also helps to maintain its longevity and performance. In this blog, we will discuss some tips and tricks for cleaning your boat.
Steps to clean your boat:
1. Gather your supplies before you begin cleaning your boat, it's important to gather all the necessary products and our staff will assist you in making the right choice for your boat. You can purchase products to clean your boat at our Sandringham boat chandlery. This includes for example, a bucket, a hose, a soft-bristled brush, boat cleaner, boat wax/polish, Teak Cleaner and a microfibre cloth. You may also want to invest in specialised cleaning products for your boat's specific material (fiberglass, vinyl, aluminium, etc.). Products we recommend are star brite and wessex to clean your boat.
2. Rinse the boat, this is the first step in cleaning your boat, rinse it thoroughly with a hose. This helps to remove any loose dirt or debris that may be on the surface. Use a nozzle attachment to adjust the water pressure to avoid damaging delicate surfaces.
3. Use boat cleaner - in store we sell a number of variations, ones that include wax and others that don’t. Boat cleaners are specially formulated to remove dirt, grime, and other build-up without damaging the boat's finish. Apply the cleaner with a soft-bristled brush and work in small sections at a time. If you have non-skid deck, we sell a specialised product in store.
4. Rinse again, once you have cleaned a section, rinse it thoroughly with a hose to remove any remaining cleaner. Be sure to rinse the boat thoroughly to avoid leaving any soap residue behind.
5. After cleaning and rinsing the boat, it's time to apply a wax. This helps to protect the boat's finish and prevent damage from UV rays, saltwater, and other environmental factors. Apply the wax, with a microfiber cloth and work in small sections at a time. You can also apply stainless steel polish at this stage.
6. Clean the interior, don't forget to clean the interior of your boat as well! Vacuum or sweep the floors, wipe down the surfaces with a boat cleaner, and clean any upholstery with a specialised cleaner for vinyl or other materials.
7. Maintain your boat Regular cleaning and maintenance are essential to keeping your boat in top condition. It's a good idea to clean your boat after every use and to store it in a dry, covered area when not in use. Also, be sure to follow the manufacturer's recommendations for maintenance and cleaning.
Cleaning your boat may seem like a daunting task, but with the right supplies and techniques, it can be a straightforward and even enjoyable process. Regular cleaning and maintenance can go a long way in ensuring that your boat remains in excellent condition and provides you with many years of enjoyment on the water.
You can get all your cleaning supplies from our yacht chandlery in Sandringham.